Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Pika is a Barometer for Climate Change

I came across this baby pika yesterday during a hike in the alpine tundra.  The pika is one of our mountain species most vulnerable to climate change.  It requires cold alpine environments for its survival, and as our winters become warmer, the pika has to move upward in elevation.  There is of course a limit to how far upward it can extend its range - since mountaintops only extend so far - and thus the pika is a good barometer for climate change.  Here's an interesting article from The Smithsonian on this connection: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/videos/category/around-the-web/pikas-and-climate-change/?no-ist

Photo: Baby Pika; Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; August 16, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment