Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Mutual Seeing Between the Landscape and I


I visit vividly-hued lakes in part because their eye-like quality reminds me that the landscape is alive with sacred subjectivity.  I am seen just as much as I see! 



And this mutual seeing - when motivated by a desire to find the best in the one seen - is ITSELF beautiful, as these amazing lakes so wonderfully express.  In fact, the landscape's seeing is able to occur - at least in part - because it borrows MY seeing. 


To paraphrase that famous phrase of Meister Eckhart: "The eye through which I see the landscape is the SAME eye through which the landscape sees me!"  This insight enables me to realize that I AM NEEDED to help make the seeing landscape conscious!





Photos: (Top) Iceberg Lake, (2nd) Grinnell Lake and  (3rd) Lake Josephine, all in Glacier National Park (MT) The closeup photo (Bottom) is of a part of Crater Lake, OR;  All photos taken in late July, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment