Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Inner Caress of Fern Canyon

Fern Canyon in Redwood National Park is a special place! EIghty feet deep and a half-mile long and carved by a trickling stream, the canyon walls are covered in five different kinds of ferns, especially Five-Fingered (or Six- or Seven-Fingered) Ferns and Sword Ferns. Because of the prehistoric ambiance of the canyon, several movies had segments filmed here, including "Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World," BBC's "Walking with Dinosaurs," and IMAX's "Dinosaurs Alive." We hiked it on a foggy evening, when breezes moved among the ferns, making them appear like hands gently caressing the leggy corridor of the canyon.




To me they spoke of a meditative practice I do that involves the transformation of emotions. Here, whenever I feel an emotion - whether it be longing, joy, fear, pride, anger, love, grief, peace or anxiety - I drop the story-line associated with the emotion and instead pay attention to the associated feeling as it occurs within my body, usually within my throat, heart or gut. I then imagine these rising-and-falling waves of physical sensation as the fingers of the Sacred Feminine who dwells within my body and feelings, using MY experience as a means of caressing her magnificent beauty and goodness, present within all things.




On this particular occasion, I also found two Banana Slugs mating on a log at the side of the canyon!

Photos: (Top) Joanne hiking in Fern Canyon; (Middle) Five-Fingered Ferns; (Bottom) Banana Slugs Mating; Redwood National Park, CA; July 29, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment