Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Beauty of Tidepools


"Down on the shore we have savored the smell of low tide - that marvelous evocation combined of many separate odors, of the world of seaweeds and fishes and creatures of bizarre shape and habit, of tides rising and falling on their appointed schedule, of exposed mud flats and salt rime drying on the rocks. I hope my nephew will later experience, as I do, the rush of remembered delight that comes with the first breath of that scent, drawn into one's nostrils as one returns to the sea after a long absence."

Rachel Carson




What pleasure can compare to exploring tide pools at low tide . . .



and finding all sorts of creatures who are hidden the rest of the day?




Photos: Indian Paintbrush, a crab (with green anemones), kelp backlit by the setting sun, and a starfish; Palmer Point Beach, Patrick's Point State Park, CA; July 30, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment