Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Thursday, August 28, 2014

When we experience being forsaken by God, strength and courage of soul are developed.


“After this came the state of Forsakenness of God and so surrounded my soul that it cried: ‘Welcome, blessed Forsaken-ness! . . . You bring me unaccustomed joy and inconceivable wonders and sweetness beyond what I can bear.  But Lord, You must take this sweetness from me and leave me only Forsaken-ness.  Well for me, that after the transformation of love, gall has been changed into honey in the palate of my soul . . .


"Now is God marvelous to me and His Forsaken-ness better even than Himself!  . . . Ah! Blessed Forsaken-ness!  You strengthen my will in suffering . .  . When You leave me, O God, it is a high and heavenly courage Your absence gives me.' "


Mechthild of Magdeburg
13th century German mystic





Photos: Snags in an old burn; Snowy Range, WY; August 22, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment