Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Sunday, August 17, 2014

With all your science can you tell how it is that light comes into the soul?


"There comes into my mind such an indescribable, infinite, all-absorbing, divine, heavenly pleasure, a sense of elevation and expansion, and I have nothing to do with it.  I perceive that I am dealt with by superior powers.  This is a pleasure, a joy, an existence which I have not procured myself.  I speak as a witness on the stand, and tell what I have perceived . . . With all your science can you tell how it is, and whence it is, that light comes into the soul?"

Henry David Thoreau

Photo: Rosy Paintbrush, Silver Creek Basin; Maroon Bells - Snowmass Wilderness, CO; August 9, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment