Welcome! I am a contemplative thinker and photographer from Colorado. In this blog, you'll discover photographs that I've taken on my hiking and backpacking trips, mostly in the American West. I've paired these with my favorite inspirational and philosophical quotes - literary passages that emphasize the innate spirituality of the natural world. I hope you enjoy them!

If you'd like to purchase photo-quote greeting cards, please go to www.NaturePhoto-QuoteCards.com .


In the Spirit of Wildness,

Stephen Hatch
Fort Collins, Colorado

P.S. There's a label index at the bottom of the blog.

Monday, August 4, 2014

Mt. Rainier and Its Prolific Meadows of Beargrass are Symbols of the Power of the Sacred Feminine


At Mount Rainier, I found myself absolutely amazed at the huge meadows of beargrass that proliferated along the Naches Peak Loop several weeks ago.  Never before have I seen so many in one place!  To me, both beargrass and Mt. Rainier are powerful symbols of the Sacred Feminine.  Indeed, the word for Rainier ("The Mountain") in the local Nisqually language is "Ta-co-bet," which means "nourishing breast."  On this trip, I found both Rainier and the prolific meadows of beargrass helpful in putting the immense power of human female beauty into a larger, more spacious context.  For all of us - both gay and straight - who are overwhelmed at times by feminine power, it is helpful to realize that our attraction to beauty is actually a participation in the desire of our vast Mother Earth and of feminine wisdom - Sophia in the Christian tradition and Prajnaparamita in the Tibetan Buddhist faith - to know and celebrate her grandeur and goodness through OUR eyes, mind and heart.  Thank you, Ta-co-bet, for helping me realize this truth more clearly!



Photo: Beargrass and Mt. Rainier with gathering fog; Naches Peak Trail; Mt. Rainier National Park, WA; July 25, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment